Rangers 1st-rounder Nils Lundkvist likely won't report to camp, frustrated with role
PUBLICATION
TJ Tucker
September 1, 2022 (3:30 PM)
We're still a couple of weeks out from training camps officially getting underway for the upcoming NHL season, but there's already word of at least one player who intends to sit it out unless he's moved. Nils Lundkvist, a New York Rangers' 1st round draft pick in 2018, has reportedly told the team he won't be there for camp, and they need to move him before it starts.
"The Rangers are engaged in an accelerated effort to trade Nils Lundkvist after being notified that the 22-year-old Swedish defenseman is unlikely to report to camp in the absence of a deal, The Post has been told by multiple sources."
"Lundkvist, the club's third, first-round selection in the 2018 draft at 28th overall, turned in a lukewarm performance for the Blueshirts in his first North American season before being sent to the AHL Wolf Pack in mid-January after being leapfrogged by 20-year-old Braden Schneider on the right defense depth chart."- Larry Brooks, New York Post Lundkvist has played just 25 games in the NHL so far in his career. The 22-year-old defenceman has a goal and 3 assists in that span. He managed 15 points in 24 games (3G, 12A) with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL. Lundkvist was a top-paring blueliner in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) before coming to North America for 2021-22 and, as Brooks points out, a much talked about and highly praised prospect.
Some fans on Twitter have pointed out that there seems to be a trend with the Rangers and unhappy rookies, although there isn't much agreement on over who's fault it is. Either way, it appears Lundkvist won't play in the NHL again until it's with a team other than the Rangers.
|
Il y a 36 minutes | Par William Nadeau Annulation de dernière minute de la diffusion du match du Canadien : la LNH explique le verdict pour Gatineau |
|
Il y a 1 heure | Par William Nadeau « Je m'en balance pas mal! » : Lane Hutson répond à un individu en point de presse et ça fait réagir |
|
Il y a 2 heures | Par William Nadeau Martin St-Louis confirme un premier changement surprenant à son retour avec le Canadien en Caroline |
|
Il y a 4 heures | Par William Nadeau La grosse rumeur sur Connor McDavid et sa présence à Montréal est confirmée et un détail retient l'attention |
|
Il y a 5 heures | Par William Nadeau Trois joueurs réguliers retirés de l'alignement du Canadien en pleine série contre les Hurricanes |
|
Il y a 6 heures | Par William Nadeau La vraie raison de l'absence mystérieuse de Martin St-Louis est maintenant révélée |
|
Il y a 7 heures | Par William Nadeau Coup dur pour Arber Xhekaj en direct de la Caroline |
|
Il y a 8 heures | Par William Nadeau Mauvaise nouvelle pour le Canadien avec une décision controversée de Gary Bettman et de la LNH en Caroline |