RECHERCHE


Suzuki thinks Montreal will prove doubters wrong during the 2022-23 season

PUBLICATION
Cooper Godin
August 29, 2022  (9:14 PM)
SHARE THIS STORY

Last year was the worst season in the 112-year history of the Montreal Canadiens. They ended the campaign with a 22-49-11 record, which had them dead-last in the NHL standings. The Canadiens set a team record for least wins (22), most regulation losses (49) and least points (55) in a single season.

As a result of their poor season, the Canadiens had the best odds for the NHL Draft Lottery and ended up selecting first overall, in their home building. With that first pick, Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes selected 2022 Olympic MVP Juraj Slafkovsky.

Montreal's prospect pool is loaded with talent and it's only a matter of time before several of them begin to help turn the Canadiens back into a contending team once again.

Despite the face the Canadiens are in the midst of a rebuild, it's hard to see them being as bad as they were last season. With the additions of Juraj Slafkovsky, Kirby Dach, Sean Monahan and Mike Matheson, among others, the Canadiens are poised to do much better than they did last year.

In an interview with Stu Cowen of the Montreal Gazette, Canadiens forward Nick Suzuki said that he believes the team will prove the doubters wrong this season.

"I think I'm most excited about kind of proving people wrong," Suzuki said. "I think people have really put us down. I was actually talking to (Sean) Monahan about our lineup. We've got a pretty deep team and I think people are really underestimating us. That's not a bad thing, either. I think we're going to surprise people."

The Canadiens will open their season at the Bell Centre on October 13th against their long-time rival, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Source: Montreal Gazette.